Antigua And Barbuda

THE PEOPLE

0

EST. 2017
AREA

0

SQ MILES
LOAN

0USD

INFRASTRUCTURE
WE FUNDED

0

PROJECTS
GRANTS

0USD

INFRASTRUCTURE
LOANS

$0USD

SINCE 2014

DATE JOINED CARICOM

4 July 1974

ALSO KNOW AS

The Island of 365 Beaches. (Root: Waladli and Wa'onomi (Amerindian)

LOCATION

Located in the Eastern Caribbean at the southern end of the Leewards Islands, 40 km (25 miles) northeast of Montserrat.

STATUS

Independent - 1 November 1981

Antigua & Barbuda Flag

HISTORY

Columbus landed on Antigua in 1493 and named the island after the church of Santa Maria de la Antigua in Seville, Spain. It was colonised by the English in 1632 and apart from a brief French occupation in 1667, remained British until becoming an 'Associated State' in 1967. The islands attained full independence on November 1, 1981. In the late 18th century the islands served as a major naval dockyard for the British fleet in the Eastern Caribbean.

MOTTO

Each Endeavouring All Achieving

CAPITAL

St. John's

CURRENCY

Eastern Caribbean Dollar (EC$)

AIRPORT

V. C. Bird International (Antigua) Codrington (Barbuda)

Country Programme Status

Antigua and Barbuda’s CAP consists of two components as set out below and was designed to enhance export revenue from the tourism sector and contribute to lowering youth unemployment.

The Redevelopment of the Lower St. John’s Cruise Ship Terminal

The Redevelopment of the Lower St. John’s Cruise Ship Terminal was financed by a concessionary loan of US$1.79 million (EC$4.8 million) to refurbish the landside facilities of the cruise ship terminal.

During 2017, work on the Taxi Hub was substantially completed while the completion of the washrooms at Heritage Quay was deferred 2018.  Following Hurricane Maria a successful request was made to the CDF to reallocate resources to repairing the Board Walk as well as Vendor Mall, both of which were completed by end-2017.

The Learning Resource Centre at the Antigua State College (ASC)

The completion of The Learning Resource Centre at the Antigua State College (ASC) was nanced by a grant of US$2.23 million (EC$6.02 million) to complete the structure to expand the available classroom and library areas.

Construction started on August 11, 2017 and was to be completed by June 2018.  At the end of 2017 all external civil works to the building had been completed with internal works, installation of windows, plumbing and electrical installations to be addressed during the first quarter of 2018.

Dutch NL English EN French FR Spanish ES