Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

saint_vincent_and_the_grenadines

 

Also known as:

Jewels of the Caribbean (Named Hairoun by the Caribs (The Home of the Blessed)

Motto:

Peace and Justice

Location:

St. Vincent is situated in the Windward Islands at the lower end of the Caribbean chain; the Grenadines comprise a chain of little islands and rocks between St Vincent and Grenada. It is volcanic and densely forested.

History:

St. Vincent and the Grenadines was originally settled by Amerindians. Struggle for possession by the French and the British ended with the British in control in 1783 (apart from French occupation from 1778-1783). The island gained independence in 1979.

Status:

Independent Republic - 27 October 1979

Capital:

Kingstown

Area:

389 km2 (150 square miles)

Population:

100,596 (2004)

Currency:

Eastern Caribbean Dollar (EC$)

Airports:

Argyle International Airport

Date of joining CARICOM:

1 May 1974

 

More on Saint Vincent and the Grenadines