Antigua and Barbuda

antigua_and_barbuda

 

 

Also known as: 

 The Island of 365 Beaches. (Root: Waladli and Wa'onomi (Amerindian)

 Motto:

 Each Endeavouring All Achieving

 Location:

 Located in the Eastern Caribbean at the southern end of the Leewards Islands, 40 km (25 miles) northeast of Montserrat.

 History:

 Columbus landed on Antigua in 1493 and named the island after the church of Santa Maria de la Antigua in Seville, Spain. It was colonised by the English in 1632 and apart from a brief French occupation in 1667, remained British until becoming an 'Associated State' in 1967. The islands attained full independence on November 1, 1981. In the late 18th century the islands served as a major naval dockyard for the British fleet in the Eastern Caribbean.

 Status:

 Independent - 1 November 1981

 Capital:

 St. John's

 Area:

 442 km2 (170 square miles)

 Population:

 86,000 (IMF Estimate 2010)

Currency:

Eastern Caribbean Dollar (EC$)

Airport:

V. C. Bird International (Antigua)
Codrington (Barbuda)

Date of joining CARICOM:

4 July 1974

  

 

More on Antigua and Barbuda