Dominica

dominica

 

Also known as:

Nature Island of the Caribbean (Source: Caribbean Islands Handbook (Footprint Handbooks) 8th ed.)

Motto:

After the Good Lord, we Love the Earth

Location:

The most northerly and largest of the Windward Islands situated between Guadeloupe to the north, and Martinique to the south.

History:

Dominica was occupied first by the Amerindians. It was sighted and named by Christopher Columbus in 1493. The island changed hands several times in the 18th century, but it finally became British in 1805. It was joined to the Leeward, then the Windward Island, and achieved separate status in 1960. Dominica became a British Associate State in 1967, and gained independence on November 3, 1978.

Status:

Independent Republic - 3 November 1978

Capital:

Roseau

Area:

750 km2 (290 square miles)

Population:

73,000 (IMF Estimate 2010)

Currency:

Eastern Caribbean Dollar (EC$)

Airport:

Canefield; Melville Hall

Date of joining CARICOM:

1 May 1974

 

More on Dominica